For those interested in positive training and learning more about basic canine behavior:
- The Other End of the Leash, Patricia McConnell
- For the Love of a Dog, Patricia McConnell
- Don’t Shoot the Dog, Karen Pryor
- The Power of Positive Dog Training, Pat Miller
Resources for parents:
- Living with Kids and Dogs...Without Losing You Mind: A Parent’s Guide to Controlling the Chaos, Colleen Pelar
Resources for new puppy owners:
- The Puppy Primer, Patricia McConnell
- Before and After Getting Your Puppy, Dr. Ian Dunbar
Resources for fostering/adopting a dog:
- Love Has No Age Limit, Patricia McConnell
- How to Foster Dogs, Pat Miller
Resources for fun activities for you and your dog:
- 101 Dog Tricks, Kyra Sundance
- Play with Your Dog, Pat Miller
AVSAB Position Statements:
This statement has been developed for the purpose of clarifying how AVSAB views the theory of dominance relationships between animals. We also hope that it helps to dispel some myths that have recently become more prevalent among some who work in this field.
This statement focuses on the use of punishment in the training of animals and the learning theories that exist which put the use of punishment into proper perspective.
This statement hopes to increase awareness of the need for socialization in puppies and raise the issue of how vaccination protocols affect the socialization process in puppy classes.
This handout goes over guidelines for choosing a dog trainer so you and your dog can have a great experience.